5.8.16

Memory Books

Two projects in a row - both memory books. Memory books surely are my most poignant commission work. I so deeply appreciate the connection I get to make to the person bring remembered, in addition to connecting with their loved ones (for whom the book is really for). I never would have guessed that a simple act like bookbinding could impart this level of emotional involvement but creating memory books continues to truly be my honor. Every time. 

I never fail to be amazed by the breadth of diversity among commission work. These two memory books are shining examples of such.

 The first book shown here features pages which were given out to loved ones to fill with content. Friends and family decorated the pages with writing, drawing, and photos. The completed pages were bound together with ribbon. Bright and cheerful colors pay homage to a young man who died at 22. I poured love for a stranger into the binding of this book for his parents. 



The other memory book was in honor of a loving father and outstanding husband. He finally succumbed to ALS after a long campaign. His wife told me all about the celebrations his life-long friends were able to have in his name - gatherings all over the country, including a magical outdoor festival with music and fireflies. He was an accomplished woodworker and his wife was really hoping to incorporate some aspect of wood into the book. I had been saving some special wood veneer for just the right project, and was enthused to put it to use in this extra large album. She asked that I bind the blank book in time for her trip to visit her daughter and son. They were going to spend their time together filling the album with content they had been gathering in his memory. I've obscured the nameplate in this photo for privacy, but the plate read his name and dates of life. The emotional involvement I had with this one really inspired the execution of using unconventional materials with the extra large format. His widow really wanted this book to be special, and I am so pleased and honored that it turned out beautifully. Sometimes, I really do feel like books make themselves - this definitely was the case with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment